Visit our website!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Salute to Farming Families!

The barn my Grandfather built, now nearly 100 years old, with all brick construction and an all slate roof. Incredible craftsmanship that is still in great condition.  The original milking parlor is the small round structure on the right.
Sometimes I have the pleasure of finding myself out in more rural areas, usually either in Alabama or when I'm visiting family in Virgina. Recently I had occasion to run an errand to a local farm and was reminded how grateful I am that certain families are still committed to making a living on their farm. He told me to come by the barn around lunch as that is when I could catch them just before heading over to the house for lunch.  I'm struck by how different in many ways their lifestyle is.  Even in the country, they have all the modern conveniences that we have, but their profession dictates their hours and days.  Some days may be quiet and they are a little more free to have a relaxed day, but many are long because animals must be fed and crops must be harvested.  When it is time, these jobs must be done and can't wait until Monday or even morning.
Hay bales on a recent foggy morning.
My Grandfather and Uncles were dairy farmers.  Cows must be milked 2x per day, 365 days a year! Someone must be there 24/7 to tend to a dairy farm! I don't know that I could make that commitment!
One of the cows on my Uncle's farm. The farm always looks to me like everything is just on auto-pilot, cows eat and give birth, the rain waters the fields: but I know the business of a successful farm is really much more complicated.
 Farming like every industry has become more competitive. Most of the farmers of this generation seem to go to college for degrees like AgriBusiness, Dairy Science, or Horticulture. To be successful you have to be a great business person, to figure how much to spend per acre, how much yield you will get, when to upgrade equipment, whether leasing or purchasing more land will be most profitable, and which if any chemicals to use.  All while taking a gamble on so many factors out of your control, like the weather and what the market price will actually be when your crop is ready.  I would be frustrated by the fact that when I have a great crop with the right sun and rain, so does everyone else, driving the price at market much lower. And vice verse, when there is a drought or storm destroying my crop those are the years I could really make a killing because everyone is usually in the same boat.  Supply and demand at it's best, but so many factors out of the farmer's control!!

I love fresh fruits, vegetables and meats. So thank you to all the farmers who are willing to be "tied" to their farms and have a job that involves so many risky factors!

And if you have any little ones that love tractors, here is the Little Lamb Design salute to the farmers.
Below is a cute farm invitation as well as a waterproof label, perfect for your little farmer! 
I'm looking forward to fresh tomatoes and corn! Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment